Is it wise to use short sentences and simple words when creating an application essay ?
An application essay is designed to present the candidate in the best possible light and to assist examiners in deciding whether the candidate is a suitable choice to join the college. The essay should be as clear and easy to read as possible. It should also be interesting and original.
- According to a study by Stanford University those who use complicated sentences are viewed as less intelligent than those who use short sentences.
- It is easier to express yourself clearly with short sentences.
- The reader finds it easier to follow your train of thought.
- The essay is about you so you should write as clearly and directly as possible.
- If you are using short sentences it will be easier for you to develop a logical progression.
The examiner wants to see how you present yourself in written form and how you develop your thoughts. This is more important than what you write about.
- Try and be original and make the reader think, this is best done with clear short sentences.
- Long sentences can lose track of the thought process and leave more room for punctuation mistakes.
- Long sentences can confuse the reader.
- Try to be original. This is best done by expressing yourself clearly in short sentences.
- Be yourself, be open and honest.
- Write as you would talk to a friend avoid unnecessary complexity and use a relaxed authentic style.
- Be enthusiastic and choose topics that excite you. This will resonate with the reader.
- Focus on a few specific subjects as time and space is limited.
- Make sure the essay has an introduction, a middle and a conclusion.
- Try not to use complicated words, write simply.
Make sure your spelling and punctuation is correct. This is much easier to achieve if you write in short sentences. Bad spelling and punctuation can cause you to fail.
You will have to write about why you want to join the particular college and the course. Write about why this is important to you and what motivates you. Remember that every potential student has to write an application essay. It is difficult to write about yourself but you should not be intimidated and make the best effort you can. Think positively and be confident.